I'd like to think that I'm making lemonade out of lemons. Cooking yummy food despite the restrictions that food allergies can put on a diet. Note: Please don't take my word for everything. If you or those you cook for have allergies check with your doctor to know how to avoid foods that cause problems.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lisa Black's Casserole


1 lb. Ground sausage
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup uncooked rice (not the 'minute' kind)
2 cups liquid (chicken broth with orange juice and/or pineapple juice, mixed into make 2 cups)
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained

  • Kitchen Basics Original has no Natural Flavorings (which sometimes indicates milk).  You can get this brand from Smith's.
Cook rice al dente (haha I know al dente is usually used for pasta, but you know what I mean, but just to be more clear.... I use 2 cups of water instead of 3 per cup to make it “al dente”). Brown sausage and drain.  Add in vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes.  Add cooked rice and the 2 cups of liquid.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until all (or most) the liquid is absorbed.

Note: This recipe originally said to bake the uncooked rice, but that didn’t work so well so I adjusted it and it works better for me. Just so you know when I tried baking the rice it ended up taking 2 ½ hours, so there’s probably some secret I don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment